Monday, April 26, 2010

Kentucky "Holy Lands" Tour






This first group of pictures is from the proto-cathedral in Bardstown. We visited there on our tour of the "Kentucky Holy Lands" tour with our home school group. Near the cathedral they had a museum commemorating the surrounding area's history, including the whiskey businesses. It was a really neat museum, minus all the alcohol, of course.




The second group of pictures is of the abbey at Gethsemany, KY. It is a monastery for Trappist monks. It seemed peaceful until we arrived. B was a holy terror and would not remain silent as all the signs suggested. The monks live a life of constant prayer and silent meditation. I was rather embarrassed when B kept making noise and talking during the 12:15 prayer. I was glad when it was finally time to go into the surrounding areas where we could talk and have a picnic lunch. I think I've learned my lesson that B is incapable of being quiet. I hope I'm not banned from ever coming back. If I do go back, it will be without young children. I am sure that will make the monks happy, too.





The final stop (for me and the kids) was in New Hope, KY to a lay third order Dominican community. ( Some families in our home school group went on to visit two more sites.) We enjoyed the tour of the Dominican's chapel. It was simple and humble, yet beautiful. I especially liked some of the stained glass windows. My favorites ones were the Blessed Margaret of Castello, St. Martin De Porres, and a very beautiful Mother of Dolores round window. The Dominican community also runs a publishing company. They print many wonderful Catholic books and pamphlets. It made for a very long day, but it was worth it to see so many holy places in Kentucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment