Monday, January 5, 2009

Creation Mural











The kids were back to school today. Our fun projects today included trying the Magi bread and our creation mural. the Magi bread we fixed was a little different that the original recipe. Instead of cherries, I substituted some frozen raspberries and since I didn't have any almonds I threw in the hickory nuts that the kids collected from our neighbor's yard. (Because it is so tedious to crack that type of nut, there weren't very many nuts to add.) The recipe made two mini loaves and one large loaf. Of course the two mini loaves didn't make it past lunch and this large loaf would have been long gone if I didn't hide it from the big kids. The kids thought the Mandarin oranges, which symbolized the gold given to baby Jesus, was the best part.

Addendum: The baby found the Magi bread, helped herself, and was very proud when Mommy came to gather proof of the crime with the camera.

The kids aren't quite done with the creation mural, but they have a pretty good start on it. If you can't tell by the pictures, the top flips up like a flap to reveal what God created on that day. So far they have finished day 1,2, and most of 3. I think we'll work on finishing days 4-7 tomorrow.

My oldest daughter started 4th grade today and loves it. She was so excited about her new books. I am so glad! Her favorite new book is the St. Joseph Baltimore Catechism #1. "I've read about this book! Now I have one of my very own! I can't believe it!" Real quote, you can't make that sort of stuff up! Who would have thought that an 8-year-old would be excited about receiving a Catechism? I just hope she doesn't scream when I tell her she needs to write all her answers in cursive starting next week.

Our middle daughter officially started Kindergarten today. Though she's been reading now for a few months, I officially told her she was now a Kindergartner since she will be turning 5 this Thursday. You should have seen her face light up. You could tell she felt so important! We did a fun review of her shapes, number words, and color words. She also practiced her spelling words for the week and read me a book.

The color word recognition activity is what is pictured. I laid out the color words on a blanket. I called out a color, she would find a toy that color, and bring it back to place under the color word. To put everything away, I'd call out a color word. She'd pick up the toy and see how fast she could put it away while I counted out loud. It only took her about 7-10 seconds on average to put it away! You'd never know from this activity that she is my lazy child who would rather be punished than help clean.

I can't complain about anything today. We had a really great first day back to school. This was really a great start to the new school year! God be praised!

No comments:

Post a Comment