Friday, May 8, 2009

Renewal of Baptismal Promises / Consecration to the Sacred Heart of Jesus











This morning after Mass, the kids and I renewed our Baptismal promises and reconsecrated ourselves to the Sacred Heart of Jesus. We discussed how we are both body and soul and that God has given us the power to choose good or evil. I spoke to them about intelligence and making good choices, about our intuition, imaginations, and will power. We discussed how through God's grace, God works within us, and He lives in our soul. (The Seton 4th grade religion book has a wonderful little explanation of these things and more in anticipation of doing one of these reconsecration ceremonies.)
After renewing our Baptismal promises, the kids prayed the following prayer taken from Seton's 4th grade religion book.

"Dear Sacred Heart of Jesus, I want to belong to You from now on. with Your help, I want to be free from the darkness of sin and Satan's rule. I want to enter into Your Kingdom. With the help of Your grace, I turn away from all wrongdoing. I ask Your forgiveness for all the sins I have committed. I offer my life to You. I adore You above all things, and I promise to obey You as my Lord and my God."

When finished, the kids each presented a red rose to Our Blessed Mother, Mary, and asked her to intercede for us and take our prayers to Jesus. For some of the kids this was a real sacrifice. One in particular had grown rather fond of her rose and did not want to give it away. I reminded her of the sacrifices we all have to make for love of others. I told her that the more we like/love something the harder it is to give it up, but all the more it means to Jesus. She thought for a moment, frowned, then smiled, and promptly gave it to Mary. On our way out the kids wanted to do a little procession and song in front of the outdoor Marian grotto. So we stopped there and sang "Immaculate Mary".
Later today, while the kids are playing outside for recess, I am going to make them each a certificate commemorating this joyful occasion of there rededication to God. I think we will start doing this once a year. It was a great reminder to them of what we are called to do and be as Catholic Christians.


No comments:

Post a Comment