Sunday, December 27, 2009

Christmas at the Copper Corral




















Here are some pictures of our Christmas traditions and gatherings. The first few are of our short gathering with the great grandparents and some of my husband's extended family on Christmas Eve night. Most of the pictures are of Christmas Day.
On Christmas morning we attended Mass, visited the nativity scene afterwards to sing “Happy Birthday” to Jesus, and then get our picture taken with Him. After Mass, we went home for a quick lunch and then Dear Hubby read the Christmas story to us all. It was always a big production in my family when baby Jesus is finally placed in the manger on Christmas day. The kids each got to process with a baby Jesus while singing “Silent Night”. Now as a mother, I’ve tried to do this with my own children before opening presents. This year my brother and his family were visiting and shared in this tradition. It was really neat to see all nine kids (ages 9 to 2 months) lined up in age order processing with their baby Jesus. Makes me want another six! LOL! Things were a little chaotic at times, but I wouldn’t want it any other way. We had a very blessed Christmas!

Recently I’ve been thinking a lot about families and family size. A friend of a friend just adopted a little girl. Friends of ours are expecting twins and this will mean that they will have 7 kids under the age of 6 when the twins arrive. I have no doubt that God will give them the strength to fulfill this monumental calling to be parents of so many little blessings. Some other friends of ours just had their 8th child. She was born with some physical problems, but after a surgery or two she should be fine for the most part. Maybe it is the inspiring examples of these three families, or just this time of year when we gather together with family, that makes me think about the importance of having the children God asks us to bring into this world.

Today is the feast of the Holy Family. I realize that nobody’s family will ever be perfect like that of the Holy Family. No parents can compare to Mary and St. Joseph. However, the generosity of those who say yes to God and lovingly accept another child into their family (whether through adoption or natural means) is inspiring to me. Pope John Paul II said that the best gift you can give your child is another sibling. I don’t know if we will be able to have any more children, but I am open to however many children God is calling us to bring into our family. What a better gift to give this time of year, than the gift of life!












Little Eli at 3 months old. He is oh, so sweet! I just want to kiss him everytime I see him! He looked so cute in his Santa hat.

No comments:

Post a Comment