Friday, March 5, 2010

Chickens at the Copper Corral




Well, it is official. We are the proud owners of a dozen chickens. Ten pullets and two roosters. The kids were so excited. I can hardly wait until we have "farm fresh" eggs. I am not looking forward to the day we butcher our first chicken, though. I've warned the kids that the chickens are not pets, but food. However, even our oldest is already thinking up names for the pullets (her favorite name is Heidi). This makes me think they are already getting attached to the chickens. Maybe when the chicks get older, and uglier, they'll loose interest in them.


M is excited to collect eggs. She's already called dibs on collecting the first batch of eggs. I tried to give her some perspective on what is involved with the chickens. I told her I will expect the kids to help feed, water, and clean out the chicken coop. She said, "That's fine." I thought for sure she'd complain. Wow, how she is growing up into such a fine young lady. :)

1 comment: