Thursday, February 25, 2010

8th Birthday Cake



Making this cake brought out the inner Star Wars geek in me. I've always secretly loved Star Wars. Can you tell it is for my son's Birthday? It is a bit more masculine than the other cakes I usually am asked to make.
I've been experimenting with different frostings and this one was a mix of royal icing (The yoda face and light saber), an older chocolate butter cream, and a vanilla butter cream recipe I just discovered. I think all my cakes from now on will be frosted with this new frosting. The kids and I love it! Here it is if anyone cares to try it.

Vanilla Butter Cream Frosting
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup softened unsalted butter
1 tsp. clear vanilla extract
4 cups powdered sugar
2 1/2 Tbs milk
a pinch of salt

2 comments:

  1. The Force was certainly with you on this one....

    Now if you can just blow up that dreaded Death Star!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was one good cake Michelle! It's a real work of art. It looks even better in pictures! God bless.

    ReplyDelete