Tuesday, February 9, 2010

When God gives you Snow...




When God gives you snow, make snow ice cream!

The kids were in seventh heaven today as they tried snow ice cream for the first time. We are getting an actual snow storm, instead of the usual light dusting. This is the first time I have felt confident that there was enough fresh snow to make one of my childhood favorites. I made a batch of vanilla first and then experimented with peppermint, chocolate chip mint, almond, and lemon. Yummy!

I am sure that some would think it dangerous to use raw eggs, but hey I am sure that kids ingest far worse things than raw eggs. Besides, when I was growing up in Northern Indiana, (where we got real snow storms about every other week) we ate snow ice cream all the time. I am still here to tell the tale, so it can't be all that bad.


If you feel daring enough to try some snow ice cream, here is the recipe:


Snow Ice Cream

Cream together these first two ingredients:
2 eggs
1 tsp. salt

Stir in the following:
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup milk
1 Tbs. vanilla (if using another extract like peppermint, almond, coconut, lemon, etc. use a little less than 1 tsp.)


Fold in:
12-14 cups of FRESH, clean snow

Eat immediately. Enjoy!










My kids sure did. They said it is the second best ice cream they've ever tasted. They still like Dairy Queen's ice cream sundaes with Creme 'D Mint better than mine. Oh, well. You can't be the best at everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment