Monday, April 6, 2009

Cooking and Chores with the Kids











It was a pretty good Monday. The kids did their school work today without complaint and very efficiently. We were done shortly before lunch and had some time to do chores before eating. The little girls helped me to sort clothes and put the "white" load into a bin to be taken to the washer. They misunderstood me and decided to get into the bin and then put the clothes in on top of them. It was rather funny when I came around the corner and saw them doing this.



My son helped sweep the floor under the table while my oldest went upstairs to clean the bathroom.



When lunch time rolled around, the two middle girls decided they wanted to learn how to make sandwich eggs. They were so excited to put on some old aprons that my sister and I used to wear when we were kids. Overall the eggs turned out pretty well with a little help from Mommy and their big sister.




Later in the day we tried our hand at making soft pretzels. I knew the kids were going to love this activity. They were amazed at how small the yeast was and yet how big it made the dough get. A great science lesson as well as a religious one. We talked about the parable of the yeast, how monasteries used to make pretzels, and even why they shaped them that way. It was really fun. My sister-in-law told me about this link to a pretty good recipe.



My only adjustment was to turn the oven temperature down to 400 degrees and soak the pretzels a little while in the baking soda water mixture. Overall, a very good recipe that nearly anyone can do. They were a huge hit with my kids! I am glad I made a double batch, otherwise, there would be none left for Daddy to try when he gets home from work tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment