Sunday, April 5, 2009

Palm Sunday Visit from Grandpa

































Grandpa (dear hubby's adoptive father) came to visit today after Mass. It was such a nice day out that we were able to do all kinds of activities with the kids. The swings were first, then bikes, roller skates, scooters, and ride-on toys followed. It was a very nice visit and the kids were able to run off a lot of energy. I think even Grandpa got a work out pushing kids on scooters, bikes, and ride-on toys. The weather tomorrow is going to be rather cool and a possibility of snow flurries, so it was good he was able to visit today!

After Grandpa's visit, we had taco night, prayed the family rosary, and I showed our oldest daughter how to "braid" the blessed palms. I don't really know the technical term for it, but we have traditionally segmented each palm into four parts and then done a kind of achordian box weave. I remember seeing something very similar when making key chain decorations out of plastic rope or friendship bracelets in the early 1990's. Whatever you call it, I can rememer "braiding" blessed palms at my house with my mother as child and I wanted to carry on that tradition. Last year I meant to do it, but we were so busy on Palm Sunday that I didn't get to the Palms until Monday afternoon, by that time they were too stiff and dry to "braid". The stick straigth palms were a constant reminder all year long that I had failed to follow the tradition of "brading" the blessed palms. I was determined this year that wasn't going to happen and I made the time to do it. I think my daughter was really happy to take part in this little family tradition. She asked if we can do it every year. I told her with her help, we sure can. It is something very little, but I know it will mean a lot to her someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment