Thursday, January 20, 2011

Barbie Birthday Cake




C's birthday party had to be postponed and rescheduled due to the stomach bug hitting 7 out of 8 of us. However, once everyone was back to normal, we took her cake out of the freezer and I decorated it the way she wanted...a blue dress with lots of pink bows. We even added some extra details to finish the outfit in true Barbie style (over the top and glammed out with plenty of jewelry). I ended up adding ear rings, a necklace, bracelet, nail polish, and a ring. She even had pink buttons going down the back of her dress.
Simple Tips on Making this Cake:
For this cake I divided two cake mixes into four round pans to bake. After cooling, I frosted the top of the bottom cake and laid the next layer on top. I continued doing this until I had all four layers stacked on top of each other. I then began to carve the cake into the correct "bell" shape I needed for the ball gown. When it came time to put Barbie in her dress, I cut a large whole in the center with an apple corer (because I had to freeze this cake, it worked really well to use the corer before it was completely thawed). Next I frosted the skirt. Then I added the Barbie doll that I had wrapped in plastic (just to keep the cake and frosting out of her nooks and crannies!). To make the bodice which would cover Barbie's torso and bust, I used a star shaped tip. To finish it, I used a small straight line tip (I think a Wilson #2 or #3) to do the nail polish, jewelry, and fine details. I hope these tips help you in making your little girl a Barbie cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment