Saturday, January 8, 2011

Birthday Cake

B decided this year to have a Tiinkerbell on her cake. She picked out the design she wanted and then I was supposed to magically make it appear. Here is the way I did it.

I made a stencil, like I did last year for her Winnie the Pooh cake. This time I took pictures of it step by step. Although I neglected to take a picture after adding each color. The challenge is to think in reverse, doing the color farthest away or underneath first.
First try to pick a simple line drawing you can cut out.
Second, cut out the design, making sure to cut away some of the interior lines similar to a stencil. (Notice the missing eye, cut between the two legs, and the bodice line of her dress. These are examples of doing just that.)
Next lay the stencil on the frosted cake. B chose to have a blue sky background for Tinkerbell so it looked like she was flying in the air. With a tooth pick trace around the edges and interior lines that you cut out earlier to ensure that the outline "transfers" to the cake.
Next, take off the stencil and finish touching up the outline to make it appear more like the line image of the figure you are doing.

Finally, color in each section, color by color starting with the on which is in the background. In this case that meant doing the white wings first, then the peach skin parts, then the green dress, and finally the yellow hair.

In the future, if I ever do this character again, I would try to make her larger so I could be more accurate on the facial features. The smaller the character the harder it is to get an accurate representation of the smaller features such as the nose and eyes.




B loves it and that is all that matters! I hope you enjoy making your own character creations.

God bless.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful, Michelle. The stars look like they are glowing. I bet it was hard to cut into, because it was so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete