Monday, December 15, 2008

My Little Readers:



The kids have been really good about reading everyday, and for some, nearly every hour of the day. My oldest is quite the book worm. If she isn't at her desk doing school work I can always find her curled up on a couch with a good book. I guess I shouldn't complain, but she tends to get lost within the book and doesn't always come when called.
Our youngest, has decided she wants to imitate the older ones and seems to pick up any and all books she can. The only problem is she still likes to eat them. The latest book she has tried to consume was my Mustard
Seed book. It is a condensed, little book that
describes the basic Truths of the Catholic Faith.
At least she has good taste! It is a nice book that summarizes the Faith well.

Our middle child, has recently joined the older two in becoming an early reader. She won't be 5 until January, but has already read about 45-50 books. Of course they are simple, early reader, and beginner books, but I am proud of her nonetheless. Thank God for Frontline Phonics and the Catholic Heritage Curriculum series called Little Stories for Little Folks. (chcweb.com/ is where you can get the CHC series) We use both of these programs and I think the kids really enjoy them. After that we start to check out the Dick and Jane series from the library to work some more on fluency and sight words.
We also are doing the Pizza Hut Book-It awards program again this year. The kids and I set a goal of how many books they will read for the month. When they reach their goal, they receive a certificate for a free personal pan pizza at Pizza Hut. (You can sign up online at the Pizza Hut home page.) We then go on a week day, during the lunch buffet to redeem them. I pay for my lunch buffet (about $6), the youngest two get to eat free since they are under 3, and the older three have their free personal pan pizzas. It ends up being a really cheap lunch for 6 people (about $6 plus tip). They feel like they have been richly rewarded and I don't have to cook or clean up after them for one meal! Sounds like a win-win situation to me. I would highly recommend this program to all home schooling families who have little readers in their home.

No comments:

Post a Comment