Monday, February 23, 2009

Our Lady's Rosary Maker's Field Trip


















Friday we went with the home school group to the headquarters for Our Lady's Rosary Makers. This non-profit organization packages and sells inexpensive rosary parts to individuals wishing to make rosaries to give to missionaries throughout the world. We first visited the show room where they had some very unusual rosaries ranging from very tiny and old to large and new. The show room also included rosary centers, crucifixes, holy cards, and rosaries for sale. Any profit from these items help to supplement the cost of running the rosary makers. The kids really enjoyed seeing the bead sorter and counting machine. Another neat machine was the one that measured out the length of wire. I think the kids liked finding the beads in the cracks of the warehouse floor the best. In all the kids collected enough to make at least two rosaries. I am hoping to make one later today out of the beads. I figured this would be a good way for them to remember their trip.












The older kids were able to try their hands at making a rosary while the second half of the group took the tour. My Mom even tried her hand at it. She got a few beads strong before it was time to go. It is actually pretty easy. The hard part is tying the knots. If you really want to do something more difficult, try making the wire kind where you even have to make your own chain. My dear husband can do it, but I haven't even tried. I'll stick with the rope kind. That is more my skill level.









No comments:

Post a Comment