Friday, November 21, 2008

Goals for the New Liturgical Year...




Some people make New Year's resolutions. I have never been one of them. This year, or at least this Liturgical year, I find myself needing to be one of them. I must get more organized! All this clutter is creating even more chaos. I have determined that the Liturgical Calendar my dear husband made for our wall will be the catalyst that will help orchestrate this massive undertaking.

1. I plan to systematically use the wonderful books, Catholic Traditions in the Home and Classroom by Ann Ball and A Year with God published by Little Way Press. The kids will hold me accountable if they see our activities written down on the calendar.

2. I plan to put my older daughter to work! She needs to take a more active role. She'll be starting 4th grade in January. Until now, I have not made her help out much or mentor the younger kids. I was too afraid that she would resent the fact that I had asked her to help her younger siblings. Today I realized I've been wrong about this. When I received a phone call this morning, she stepped in, without being told, and helped her younger sister with her reading. I was so proud of her and she was so glad to have helped. Now I feel bad for depriving her of the satisfaction she gets from helping others. Plus, this helps me!

3. I plan to utilize the Internet and all the vast resources it offers for keeping younger kids busy. I have found this website helpful for free preschool papers: http://homeschooling.families.com/blog/tips-for-home-schooling-multi-aged-children-printable-worksheets-for-preschoolers I use the ABC teach and enchanted learning pages the most.

4. Last, but not least, I want to stay home more! We need to simplify and slow down. I want to enjoy the time I have with my kids. I want to have the time to interact with my kids without having to rush out the door to yet another activity. The rush, rush, rush of doing so many activities has worn me out.

Lofty goals, I know. I think a fellow home schooling mom who is expecting her 13 child said it best, " We are trying to get our kids into Heaven, not Harvard!"
God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment